Navigate

#FEATUREFRIDAYS - Jimmy Vu

OUR THIRD FEATURE FRIDAYS DJ IS OUR PAL JIMMY VU



Jimmy Vu has gained much exposure over the past year has a Hardstyle DJ in Vancouver playing countless gigs at a variety of Vancouver’s premiere nightclubs, coliseum massives and perhaps most exciting of all being his new weekly spot as Club 816 Bassment’s Friday night resident opener. Having drawn his strongest creative influence from DJ Lace and Jesse Creed Club 816’s resident headliners for Friday and Saturday nights, spinning at the afterhours is a goal accomplished and a dream lived. Where did it all begin though?
Who planted the seed that would inevitably grow into the huge tree of DJ wisdom Jimmy Vu has in his head? An unlikely but adorable source… His Mom.
         
         “I had first listened to Hardstyle commuting to and from university at the time. I was listening to Showtek's new album "Anaogue Players in a Digital World." My mother took me to my first massive which was Dooms Night 2009, on Halloween and to my surprise, Showtek was playing live.”
           
          Having 4 years of solid experience as an active Vancouver DJ, Jimmy Vu has built a network of fans, friends and colleagues who not only love his music but him as well. His growing following is what Jimmy credits as being what he enjoys most about being a successful DJ
       
          “ I feel blessed for the support and appreciation for my efforts and an enjoyable experience.”
         
          We had to wonder with a passion for his fans good time being his number #1 priority, what could possibly be his track of choice to drop when he is spinning Hardstyle?
     
         “I like Showtek - Fuck the System. I think it is a must play for all the hardstyle fans. It gets everyone's energy levels raised.”

           In today’s EDM market there are so many aspiring DJs who just don’t seem to know quite where to start, well Jimmy Vu thinks they should start by taking influence to his style and attitude as a DJ.

          “I try my best to keep a level of professionalism. In the local scene, I want to be a positive role model DJ for all other aspiring DJ’s. As well, I always try to be friendly and to not get involved with too much drama. When I am booked for a gig, I show up on time.”

          Touché Jimmy! Great advice! What can new DJs expect to find challenging once they do get going though?

         “My biggest unforeseen obstacle as a DJ is to stay consistent and constantly working. Also, keeping updated with new music and current events in the music industry.”

          Clearly Mr. Vu has overcame his obstacle though having a steady weekly gig now every Friday Night and we are so proud of all his hardwork. Jimmy Vu really isn’t just spinning a mix when he is performing, he is creating a memory for us.

         “I develop sets that create a unique journey full of emotion for the audience. . The thrill of playing a set and taking the audience on a journey is what I crave the most. I want my listeners to leave the night and go home with a sense of well-being”

        His final words of wisdom?

       “Never give up and keep moving forward. Do it because you truly enjoy it. Do it because you need to. And never let it get to your head. Always be respectful to everyone, even people who doubt you.”

       Well said Jimmy ! You can check out lots of Jimmy’s music on his SoundCloud or by coming down to Club 816 Bassment any Friday night!